Leaving Japan? Return Your Alien Registration Card or Look Forward to a Big Surprise!


immigrationWhen leaving Japan permanently, it is imperative that you return you Alien Registration Card.   If you do not return your Alien Registration Card, you could be held liable for local inhabitant's taxes, car taxes, as well as health insurance taxes and so on until your visa officially ends even if you are no longer physically present in Japan.  If you planned to receive a lumpsum payout from your pension (see this article), you need to return your Alien Registration Card.  Here is an excellent article explaining this pitfall:

Alien Registration & Departure/Exit Procedures